Gas oil, otherwise known as red diesel is widely used as fuel in the agricultural industry and off-road vehicles. This accounts for 15% of total diesel use in the UK. However, in recent years, there has been several changes made to gas oil standards as a result of strict emission requirements and changes to vehicle design. Most recently, in April 2018, the RTFO enforced new legislations which stated that 7.25% of the total fuel volume must be supplied from renewable resources which means the addition of ethanol and the fatty acid, methyl ester (FAME) in gas oil and diesel.
The introduction of FAME in gas oil is well documented and we expect these will only be exacerbated as the proportion of FAME increases, some of these problems include:
- Reduction in fuel shelf life
- Increased water content in fuel
- Increase in the likelihood of ‘bug’ growth
- Lower cold weather performance
- Increased layering in tanks
At Exocet, we recognise the challenges the end user faces from these changes to emission standards and vehicle design. Our fuel additives are tailored to meet the specific needs of agricultural end users.
Exocet Gas Oil Supreme is used to improve the performance of your gas oil, allow modern engines to run on red diesel and counter any negative effects noted above. This fuel additive gives red diesel the cetane number required by modern engines, enhances fuel lubricity and keeps water out of the fuel delivery system – probably the single most significant cause of injector damage. There is also the addition of preventing deposit formation to optimise fuel flow and carbon and other deposits from accumulating in the fuel system.
Gas Oil Supreme should be used when:
- A vehicle lacks power, misfires or ‘runs rough’
- An engine manufacturer recommends the use of a fuel additive
- Excessive smoke is observed
- The FAME content of the fuel is known to have increased
- Fuel is being used in a tier III or later vehicle (typically post 2005)
Benefits of Gas Oil Supreme include:
- Increased cetane number
- Gas Oil Supreme provides easier starting
- This fuel additive increases pulling power
- It also creates smoother power delivery
- Reduced visible emissions (smoke)
- This fuel additive improves combustion efficiency
- Aligns with modern engine calibrations
- Increased fuel lubricity
- It helps to compensate for sulphur reduction in fuels
- Gas Oil Supreme protects against premature wear in fuel pumps and fuel injectors and reduces friction
- Enhanced water resistance
- It prevents emulsions forming and resultant filter blockages
- Exocet Gas Oil Supreme keeps water out of the fuel
If you would like more information about our Gas Oil Supreme fuel additive, please contact the Exocet technical team on 01743 761415 or alternatively, use our online enquiry form.